Pages

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

I Love My State.

I love my state....the state of North Carolina. Today I was able to go on a field trip with my son Jake and his 4th grade class to the NC Capitol Building in downtown Raleigh, NC. When I venture downtown, I am reminded how much I love it. 


The NC Capitol Building was completed in 1840 and is a beautiful example of the Greek Revival Style architecture. 

Image from Raleigh Skyline

In the Rotunda stands a 1970 copy of Antonio Canova's original statue of George Washington. 
(pictures are taken with my iPhone...my very old iPhone....haha)


Looking up into the rotunda

Bust of Samuel Johnston

Southwest Suite (Governor's Office) Since 1840, these rooms, which feature furnishing of the 1840-1865 period, have served as the offices of North Carolina's governor. The massive 1850s-style armchairs were hand crafted, as well as the pier table, believed to have been crafted by the free black artisan, Thomas Day of Caswell County. Nineteenth-century style window hangings suspended from gilded wooden rods and a fine Wilton weave reproduction carpet, featuring classical motifs, complement the office furnishings. (NC Historic Sites)
Governor McCrory was not in today so we were able to take a sneak peak inside. 


House of Representatives Chamber - Look at the detail of that ceiling....amazing. 


Senate Chamber

I am in love with this light fixture.

What an enjoyable day with Mrs. Hinton and this great group of 4th graders from Wake Christian. I feel so blessed to live in such a great state and to be part of such a great school. 



No comments:

Post a Comment