Pages

Friday, February 15, 2013

What's In Your Foyer

A foyer, in a home, is usually a small entry area or room by the front door. Other rooms such as a family or dining room usually attach to it along with a main stairway. It is commonly used for outerwear storage and umbrellas for both residents and guest.

A foyer is the "first impression" of a home. You want it to be inviting, but yet be functional. Keep it clean, fresh, and clutter free because it sets the tone for the rest of your house.

In this design project, I had to create a foyer that had the following:
storage for coats, shoes, keys, mail, umbrellas, a place to sit, and a mirror to check your appearance before heading out the door. The design style I was given was "shabby chic".

My finish board included the floor plan, elevations, and design elements.





What I came up with was a 90 sq. ft. basic foyer. There were no closets so I added coat racks, baskets for shoes, and an umbrella stand for storage.

I added a 6' refurbished table with drawers to hide the keys and all of the unwanted junk mail and a bench for sitting to put shoes on and off.

For the walls, I added 8" wood planks and the flooring was hand scraped maple hardwood to give it an old shabby chic feel. Art work, a rug, and a chandelier were added touches to enhance the look.

My favorite additions were these French style prints to hang over the bench and this Andalusia Dhurrie rug from West Elm. I'm in love with them both.


So, when designing your foyer, keep these things in mind:
Keep it CLEAN!
Add a table, seating, storage, personal touches and design elements. Be creative and again, keep it CLEAN and clutter free. You want your guest to feel welcomed and wanted.

Check out my Pinterest "entries" board for more ideas!

-Jenn



1 comment: